Mr. Panayot Fakhoury, a member of the Orthodox community, donated two rooms in his Gemayze home to be used as a clinic and in-patient facility.
In 1880, 416 patients were treated, 18 of whom were hospitalized. By 1881, the number of patients reached 2000. To cope with the patient load, a hospital of six rooms was constructed in 1883. Six doctors worked tirelessly, three of whom were American citizens headed by Dr. Cornelius Van Dyck, who later on founded the American University of Beirut School of Medicine.